From creamy hot chocolates and coffees to silky cocktails and desserts, here are all the ways you can use our revolutionary Velvetiser
We often talk about how versatile our Velvetiser is — it’s safe to say that we’re big fans. However, it’s time we shared all the ways you can use our patented hot chocolate machine — all in one handy article.
This one is s for those who adore chocolate in all its forms — rich and creamy, with a hint of caffeine, with a little tipple, and as the base of decadent desserts. Those with a penchant for barista-grade hot chocolate are sure to be inspired, while mixologists are destined to find some new chocolate cocktail recipes for their books.
Without further ado, here are some creative ways you can put your Velvetiser to good use.
Irresistible hot chocolates
Our Velvetiser is a hot chocolate machine first and foremost, so it makes sense to start with some sumptuous hot chocolate ideas.
First, let’s go back to basics. To make a classic hot chocolate with the Velvetiser, simply:
- Take out your favourite mug.
- Choose one of our hot chocolate flavours.
- Pour 220ml of milk into your Velvetiser — dairy, plant-based, or water will all work just fine.
- Sprinkle in your hot chocolate. If using one of our hot chocolate sachets, use the whole contents. For our larger pouches, you’ll want 35g (about 6 heaped teaspoons) of hot chocolate flakes.
- Press the button, and in 2.5 minutes, you’ll have delectable, velvetised hot chocolate.
To enjoy hot chocolate like the ancient Mayans who first created it in its original “xocolatl” form, choose a high cacao dark chocolate with a touch of chilli. Or for a sweeter creation, feel free to add lots of toppings, like whipped cream, chocolate Batons, and truffles to a white or milk hot chocolate base.
Why not explore these warming hot chocolate ideas for more inspiration?
Milkshakes are a great way of enjoying a hot chocolate-like beverage in the warmer months of the year. We can’t get enough of our velvetised version.
To make one thick chocolate milkshake, you’ll need:
- Milk of your choice.
- One of our hot chocolate sachets in your choice of flavour
- Ice cubes
- Our Velvetiser — of course.
To make your milkshake…
- Pour your milk into the Velvetiser. Empty some of the milk into a large glass, but ensure the whisk is still covered.
- Pour the sachet contents into the Velvetiser. Press the button. While you wait, add 3-4 ice cubes to your glass of milk.
- Once Velvetised, pour the liquid chocolate onto the iced milk. Stir for one minute to ensure your beverage is evenly chilled. Sip and enjoy.
The same thing that makes a rather special hot chocolate also makes a great coffee — that’s right, it’s all about texture. Luckily, just as the Velvetiser can turn hot chocolate into the silkiest, smoothest affair you’ve ever experienced, it can do the same for coffee.
To make a coffee with the Velvetiser, you can simply add a shot or two of espresso to 220ml of velvetised milk. Alternatively, our Cafe Latte Sachets handle all the measuring for you and can be added straight into the machine along with milk. Of course, you can also enjoy an indulgent chocolate and coffee combination with our Chocolate Latte Sachets.
If you have time to create a slightly more elaborate coffee, try Scott’s Velvetised Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Latte recipe — complete with nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger, whipped cream, and maple syrup.
While a flat, crisp texture is ideal for cocktails like mojitos and gin and tonics, sometimes a creamy “velvetised” consistency is in order. Our Velvetiser is a saving grace for mixologists who need a quick, reliable way to add a little “oomph” to their alcoholic creations.
We’ve decided to include an exquisite plant-based option in this list…
Vegan Dark Chocolate & Salted Caramel Soother
You’ll need the following ingredients:
- 50ml 100% Dark Chocolate Flakes
- 37.5ml Salted Caramel Vodka
- 37.5ml coconut milk
- 12.5ml orange-flavoured triple sec liqueur
- 3 drops of chocolate bitters
- Cacao nibs for garnishing
- Ice – optional
- The Velvetiser
To create your soother, add your dark chocolate flakes, salted caramel vodka, coconut milk, orange triple sec liqueur, and chocolate bitters together in the Velvetiser. Press the button.
While you can enjoy this tipple warm, you can also add some ice to your cocktail glass before pouring in the contents from the Velvetiser (or leave your glass to chill in the fridge before using it). This will cool things down a notch. Pour your drink into your favourite glass and add a garnish of cocoa nibs.
Why not discover two more irresistible chocolate cocktail recipes?
Heavenly desserts can come in many forms, but we adore the extra body that the Velvetiser can give to some chocolate treats. Take this beautiful chocolate mousse recipe, for instance.
Velvetised chocolate mousse
To make some luxurious individual mousses, you’ll need:
- 120ml of cream or milk (whole milk works best)
- Two single-serve hot chocolate sachets (we suggest our Milky 50% for mellow cacao notes or a Classic 70% Dark variety for a deeper flavour)
- The Velvetiser
- Small glasses or ramekins (chilled)
- Strawberries to garnish
To make the mousse…
- Add your cream or milk to the Velvetiser.
- Pour your two hot chocolate sachets into the machine. Press the button.
- Once it’s ready, pour the mixture into your glasses, bowls, or ramekins and place them in the fridge to set for a couple of hours.
- Slice your strawberries and place them on your set mousse portions.
- Your mousse is ready to enjoy.
Take care — how to not use your Velvetiser
We recommend registering your Velvetiser warranty immediately after your purchase. When you do this, you’ll receive 12 months full parts and labour cover just in case anything goes wrong with your machine.
Still, keep in mind that there are a few ways you should definitely not use your Velvetiser, which could damage it and void your warranty. While the Velvetiser works great with our own perfectly-sized hot chocolate flakes, grating your own chocolate flakes in the machine can cause issues. Our chocolate fakes are the right size to melt with ease and form the best texture, but chunkier pieces of chocolate can cause “hot spots” that clog the whisk, damage the machine’s inner coating, and potentially break the motor.
Also, never put your Velvetiser in the dishwasher, simply remove the whisk and rinse the non-stick interior. See our article on caring for your Velvetiser.
Shop our Velvetiser today
Fancy getting your own Velvetiser? Browse our collection today. Perfect for taking any beverage to the next level, this nifty machine will take pride of place on your kitchen counter. Choose a colour to match your home decor — either sleek white, classic charcoal, or elegant copper. Any don’t forget to pick up some handy Podcups, which hold the perfect volume of liquid for the Velvetiser.
Get set with a pouch or two of our heavenly hot chocolate. These real chocolate flakes are available in a wide variety of chocolate grades and flavours. Vanilla white or Black Forest Gateau? Orange Supermilk or Hazelnut Praline? Which will it be? And for those tempted to add a dash of caffeine to their Velvetised creations, stock up on our luxurious Latte Sachets.
For the adults among us who are interested in combining tipple and chocolate in their Velvetisers — head to our alcohol collection and browse our cacao-infused spirits.
Whichever recipes you decide to try, we hope you adore experimenting with this fabulous machine. Have your own recipe that we should know about? Share it with us on Twitter @HotelChocolat.